You’re reading this post for one of two reason, 1) you want to know what the heck I am taking about or 2) you want to know about healing naturally. Rest assured, you can simplify your life and that looks a lot different than what “health advocates” are claiming today. It’s simple, it really is simple and I am going to talk about my journey down the road of simplicity and taking it back to the roots. I am so excited to get as close to my original form, the way God designed me.
I became “woke” when I was around 17 years old. Doctors weren’t helping, mainstream medicine continued to let me down, I was constantly feeling sick and I was UNHAPPY. I mean, I was 16, gained 40 pounds in two years, was diagnosed with RA and had a chronic bad mood (sorry for anyone that had to deal with me during those years). I didn’t know what was wrong but I knew something was wrong. Low energy, sex drive, horrible acne, joint aches, autoimmune diseases, GERD, chronic yeast infections and no tolerance for anyone or anything is not normal. I had dealt with it for so long, I was numb. Luckily, I woke up and realized this was the opposite of normal. The opposite of how God created me to live and serve Him. You can read more my journey here. It will give you much needed context.
Taking it back a few years
In 2012, I was in my AP class and had to read Fast Food Nation; it changed my entire life. I am where I am now – indirectly – because of this book. At first, there was much hesitation and I hated reading, especially about my favorite food! Thankfully, my eyes were opened to media and marketing scams and the real driver behind our food system: MONEY. As a sophomore junk food junkie, my life was shaken. I believe this book was the softening point for my heart because after that, God kept opening it day after day to new truths and unfortunate realities. All things I would have NEVER considered listening to before.
There is a time and place for you to learn and be open. If you aren’t ready, you won’t receive. My health conscious aunt is a perfect example. She was healthy, naturally minded and “weird” as I was growing up, I had no interest and actually thought she was super out of this world. There were opportunities day after day for me to learn but I had no interest. Now, she comes to me for nutrition advice. Remember, be patient with yourself.
So, in 2012 my lifestyle began to shift. Fast food was no longer an option. I texted me aunt and asked for two ingredients I should avoid and did so religiously. There was awareness pumping through my body, I wasn’t perfect but I became receptive to different lifestyles and healing naturally. Mind you, my pop-tarts became a whole-wheat Subway sandwich but I was trying! Marketing tactics got me and I was looking for “natural”, cardboard packaging and HFCS-free options. It may seem small but it was huge for me. Again, read more on my story to understand the severity.
Where I went from there
For the first 2 years, I was on the bandwagon of diets. Lots of lettuce (iceburg incase you’re wondering hehe), no dressing, whole-wheat, wheat bran in smoothies, no more Doritos and limiting myself to 1 Oreo instead of an entire row. Dang, I wish I would have known I was Celiac, I would have stopped adding that wheat germ! I had an unhealthy relationship with food and found myself constantly wondering how it would make me feel or make me look.
Next, I started ordering Nature Box, cooking all meals at home and avoiding HFCS and partially hydrogenated oils like the plague. Unless of course, we went out, then I couldn’t seen the ingredient list! I was working out 2-3 hours a day, drinking tons of water, eating more veggies and avoiding processed foods. I didn’t necessarily feel better but I felt empowered and aware.
In 2014, I up and moved to Kauai and that’s where my life was changed. There, I experienced TRUE health at the hand of Jesus and my amazing mentor Allie. Surrounded by beautiful trees, the ocean and warm weather, healing came. Consequently, level 10 pain went away, water weight fell off, my skin cleared up and I felt the best I ever have. I did many alternative therapies at that time. Together, that, the ocean, my new love of Jesus, farm-fresh food and freedom are all my saving grace. I am forever in love with my sweet Kauai.
SPOILER: I moved from Allie’s, developed Orthorexia and started another journey to healing naturally. As a result, I now preach every single day to my clients and followers.
Where I am now
Sick of not feeling well. Tired of nausea, infertility and other repercussions from years of pharmaceuticals, birth control, poor diet and being extremely hard on my malnourished body. I’ve had to find love for myself in the pain, the nausea and the tiredness. A few years ago I constantly apologized to my body, telling it “sorry for treating you how I did, I just didn’t know.”. I truly believe that today and it’s allowed me to heal significantly BUT we live in a toxic world and clean eating isn’t enough. There are lots of things I should’ve done 5 years ago but I didn’t know.
- vaccination detox
- heavy metal testing and detox
- switching to chemical-free water
- hormone tests
- loving my adrenals and liver
- stopped eating healthy packaged foods
- taken it back to the roots, the earth
- but I just didn’t know! It’s okay!
It’s cool cause now I can do these things and have started. I can finally get to where I am designed to be and learn to support my clients to get there too.
What I am doing for me
- DUTCH tests
- redox support
- cutting out blue light and EMFs
- blue light blockers 1 (code SIMPLHOLISTIC)
- blue light blockers 2 (code SIMPLHOLISTIC)
- removing refined sugar from my diet
- getting into bed & turning on the red light
- turning off electronics and watching the sunset
- morning walks to watch the sunrise
- time with friends and family
- learning about cellular detoxification
- reading on mitochondrial health and support
- similarly, learning barriers between me and healing
- giving everything up to Jesus
- each bite I take, each workout I do, each client I work with, each IG post I do, my health, my life
While I eat clean, nutrient dense foods, I am tackling toxins in other aspects of my life. I’ve rid my life of toxic people and I refuse be around them. I don’t care what other people think of this, bad company corrupts good character (1 Corinthians 15:33), straight from the Word! Most importantly, “no” is a common word in my vocabulary.
The rocket fuel
Supplements are the rocket fuel to healing naturally and Jesus is the rock I remind myself to lean on. I hated myself for not being able to get pregnant and now I love that very fact. It means my body is telling me something’s off and I need to focus there first. God is good, he created us intentionally and with very intricate design. Now, I get excited when my period comes because I know it’s one step closer to healing. When my muscle spasms, I know I need more magnesium. If I can’t poop, I evaluate my diet a few days prior and assess how I can do better. Besides, ignorance isn’t bliss and I encourage you learn as often as possible! GET TO KNOW YOUR BODY, how it ebbs and flows, what fuels it and what sabotages it.
I will update this with my protocol when I complete it. For now, here are my takeaways.
7 steps for healing naturally
- Don’t fall for all the packaged health foods
- bars, milks, snacks, packets, drinks
- Eat enough dang protein and carbs, please
- pastured meat and eggs, protein powder, greens, sea algae, fresh fish
- seasonal fruit, squash, honey, maple syrup, etc.
- Get a good water filter, Brita doesn’t cut it, this or this one
- this is probably THE most important, don’t skimp here
- Your devices can wait, get off of them
- phone, tablets, bluetooth earphones, computer, TV
- Say no and don’t feel bed
- ask that people respectfully respect your decision to stay in, lighten your load or spend time with God
- Enroll in my course: Bare Naked Hormones
- See a damn professional, stop playing Dr. Google, it’s going to make you worse
- work with a nutrition professional like me, a functional medicine doctor or another nutrition professional
- Lastly, STOP GUESSING
- get lab work done, follow step 6, invest in yourself because you’re worth it
Leave a Reply